- BRISBANE Bears ace Nigel Lappin played a game in State League with
- At the time, the superstar midfielder was attached to West Brisbane as part of the system in place when listed
Brisbane players were drafted to QAFL clubs and played in State League when not required at AFL level.
- Lappin was recovering from a long-term injury and the
Brisbane match committee felt it was better that he ease back into the action in the QAFL.
- But, because West Brisbane had the bye on June 16, Lappin was cleared to resume playing with
Southport for the day.
- Lappin kicked two goals as Southport beat Mayne by 15.17 (107) to 8.9 (57) at Fankhauser Reserve.|
- A four-point loss to Mt Gravatt in the first semi-final put Southport out of the premiership race.