- Southport finally played a finals match ‘at home’ on September 7, the second semi-final against Mt Gravatt at Merrimac Oval.
- The decision by the ruling body of the day made a welcome change because, up to then, every finals match Southport had played in was held at a
- The old system was regarded as unfair on the Sharks who had to travel for finals despite, most times, having earned the ‘right’ to host finals matches at a neutral Gold Coast venue by finishing high on the ladder after the home-and-away matches.
- For the record,
Southport’s first finals match on the Gold Coast went their way. They beat Mt Gravatt by 12.9 (81) to 9.10 (64) and subsequently thrashed the same opposition by 94 points a fortnight later at
- Brisbane Lions listed Scott Bamford took the Joe Grant Medal and Jeff Brennan, son of the coach, won the Grogan Medal.
- First stage of extensions to the Fankhauser Reserve social facility began. The cost was $2.5 million and included a new gaming room, lounge, cafe, bottle and merchandise shop and a child-minding area.
Back to Memorable Moments