- Despite a magnificent individual season from skipper Danny Wise – the first Southport junior to captain the senior side – silverware did not make its way to Fankhauser Reserve.
- Coach Craig Crowley resigned as coach after the Sharks lost the preliminary final by seven points to arch rivals Morningside.
- Wise, who missed the final two games of the year with hamstring problems, won the Grogan Medal.
- Southport hosted the first representative match away from a major venue when Queensland thrashed Tasmania at Fankhauser Reserve in June. Queensland won by 23.26 (164) to 13.7 (85) and captain of the Maroons was junior product Danny Wise.
Southport forward Cleve Hughes kicked eight seven goals for the winners.
- The Sharks announce a multi-million dollar sponsorship package of the Gold Coast Suns. The deal was worth $1.1 million a year over 10 years and gave
Southport a place on the AFL club’s board.